Subject: Re: HEADS UP: RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR changed to share/examples/rc.d
To: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/31/2004 22:01:36
    Date:        Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:08:29 -0500 (EST)
    From:        Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>

  | OK, sorry about that.  Mental wavelength difference.  I said it in pr=
evious
  | posts, but to recap:

No, those are the steps you want to implement - they're trying to
achieve some goal, it is that goal that I was seeking.

  | The goal would be for rc.d scripts to show up somewhere by default, w=
ith
  | only one knob needed to change their install location or latch into s=
ystem
  | startup, and only one knob needed to enable a daemon.

This isn't it either.

What I'm looking for is something along the lines of "make packages
install faster" "increase portability" "make it easier for na=EFve users
to install" "stop bothering expert pgcsrc maintainers" "fix a bug
in binary packages" "make NetBSD look more like linux"  "change just
to stir things a bit" ...

That is, a high level objective that you're attempting to achieve
with the change.

Knowing that, it is possible to first debate whether the objective is
woethwhile, and second, determine whether the changes proposed are the
best way to meet the objective, or whether there's another way
to satisfy objective better, or easier.

kre