Subject: Re: From PR to pkgsrc
To: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@planix.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/29/2004 20:04:56
[ On Friday, December 24, 2004 at 22:51:08 (-0500), Todd Vierling wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: From PR to pkgsrc
>
> That "additional effort" of which Greg is fearful is far smaller than he
> thinks it is.  It's almost like reverse FUD.  It's fear of what the rest of
> us know to be trivial at worst.

The "effort" of checking out pkgsrc-wip and peeking into it manually is
only a very very very very very tiny portion of what _should_ be
required to make proper use of it.  Been there, done that.  (not to
mention the additional mailing lists, etc., etc., etc. :-)

I.e. I'm already using all my existing resources to their maximum limits
just to keep the production systems I manage running as best as possible.

So, if you're going to provide me with at least one other additional
test machine, and hopefully two (also hopefully within easy NFS reach of
my existing systems), and a part-time junior baby sys-admin to keep it
running smoothly and to do clean re-installs as necessary, then I'm all
ready to go!  :-)

> I mean, really, if Greg wants to contribute, that's great, but if we can't
> get the time to review it all, the elided "additional effort" basically
> renders his contributions ultimately moot.

Ultimately ignoring PRs forces someone else ignorant of the efforts to
be found already in GNATs to duplicate them all over again.  That's the
"reinvent the wheel" problem I've been trying get across....  Maybe it
is easier to redo all the work in a different way -- I guess that's up
to those doing the work to tell.

--
						Greg A. Woods
						Planix, Inc.