Subject: Re: HEADS UP: RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR changed to share/examples/rc.d
To: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/29/2004 12:17:35
    Date:        Tue, 28 Dec 2004 20:11:51 -0500 (EST)
    From:        Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>

  | Use the construct:
  |
  | : ${foo:=NO}

If I was right about what the actual problem is, that might help (it is
an idiom I use frequently too) - which probably means that I simply
mis-remembered the real problem, rather than it being trivial to solve
(had it been that easy, someone would have mentioned it last time...)

  | No, the current situation is definitely *un*reasonable, because of...
  | ...BINARY PACKAGES.

This is definitely not the NetBSD way.   And no, I don't mean "everyone
should use source" or anything like it.    I mean, the attitude "pkg_add
is broken/deficient, so we'll force everything to work around the problem
rather than simply fixing it".

If pkg_add can't handle automatically (and optionally) installing rc.d
scripts, then we just need to fix the stupid thing.

If this was done, would you then have a problem to leaving rc.d script
installation happening the way it is done now?

It isn't as if pkg_add having to "do things" to make a package work
is exactly new, there are all kinds of other things that need to be
done when installing a package that pkg_add has to be able to take
care of (like installing "high score" files for games, but only if
they didn't already exist - or the format has changed) that need
various special processing.

kre