Subject: Re: HEADS UP: RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR changed to share/examples/rc.d
To: tech-pkg@netbsd.org, <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/27/2004 21:13:47
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004, Todd Vierling wrote:

> Ew.  Why doesn't this default to $LOCALBASE/etc/rc.d and *enabled* so that
> binary packages get something half decent and usable for automatic
> inclusion?  I'd really rather not have my rcorder dirs include
> /usr/pkg/share/examples/<anything>....

I don't know. Maybe who designed the system can speak up about this.

It looks like jlam modified bsd.pkg.install.mk (1.3) in November 2001
with: "The scripts are copied into ${RCD_SCRIPTS_DIR} which defaults to
/etc/rc.d for now.  It's unclear if Linux/Solaris would set
RCD_SCRIPTS_DIR to something else."

jlam then modified it in December 2001 (1.12) to "Default to not
installing the rc.d scripts automatically.". The CVS log says:  By
default, don't install the rc.d scripts into /etc/rc.d.  Despite the fact
that they don't do anything unless the appropriate variables are set in
rc.conf, people really dislike the warning emitted at startup.  For users
that do want the pkg_* tools to handle automatically copying and removing
the rc.d scripts, the mk.conf variable to set is INSTALL_RCD_SCRIPTS=YES."

That was removed by jlam in June 2002 (1.19) to just use PKG_CONFIG
instead.

Then in September 2002 (1.27), jlam did: "Restore the ability to not
automatically install the rc.d script into /etc/rc.d.  This is controlled
by the new variable PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS which may be set in /etc/mk.conf or in
the shell environment in which the INSTALL script is executed.
PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS only takes effect if ${PKG_CONFIG} == "YES" and defaults
to NO."

I recall discussion on this, but I didn't look back in the archives.

Greg Wood's PR #22954 and his later patches made it default to installing
(PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS as YES). I don't recall anyone else saying it should be
on by default, but it is fine by me, since I already do that in my mk.conf
on a few systems.

> (Or to put it another way:  Why is it even possible to disable copying these
> files to an etc/ rooted working directory?  Much like CONF_FILES, they
> should always be copied, even if the copy destination path is configurable.)

Probably just one switch would be good enough: PKG_CONFIG

(I set the reply-to -- removing netbsd-users from recipients is fine with
me for continued discussion.)

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/