Subject: problems using chat/jabberd2
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Mirko Thiesen <thiesi@NetWorkXXIII.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/25/2004 22:34:19
I installed jabberd2 from PkgSrc and configured it to use MySQL as a
backend server for authentication.

The first problem I ran into was the following: Even though staring up
jabberd and all of its components was successful when the system was
already running, it failed when jabberd was started during the system boot
process.

According to what jabberd logged via syslog, it tried to connect to the
MySQL backend server. But MySQL wasn't started at that time. In order to
prevent jabberd from starting before MySQL I edited the jabberd rc.d
script to REQUIRE: mysqld. That did not help. Although MySQL was started
before jabberd afterwards, jabberd could still not contact the MySQL
server. Obviously starting up MySQL on my system (AMD K6-2 400, 384 MB
RAM) took longer than jabberd would wait for the SQL server to be
available.

My solution to this problem was to add a "sleep 5" to c2s's rc.d script.
Actually, I'm not quite sure this is the preferred method. I think I'm
probably not the only one having this problem (which of course will go by
unnoticed until you do a full reboot). So maybe there is another, better
solution out there. Even if nobody has any other ideas of how to deal with
this problem, we should change the rc.d script in PkgSrc so that starting
up jabberd during system bootup is more likely to work (i.e. put a
REQUIRE: mysqld in there).

Okay, now I've got jabberd up and running, but I cannot connect to it.
When I try to establish a connection from another system running WinXP and
using either JAJC or Exodus, all I see in the log is the following two
lines:

Dec 13 05:58:22 ReLink jabberd/c2s[1211]: [7] [192.168.100.10, port=2552] connect
Dec 13 05:58:23 ReLink jabberd/c2s[1211]: [7] [192.168.100.10, port=2552] disconnect

Somewhere on the web I found information about jabberd being very fussy
when it comes to DNS names. I setup a CNAME Jabber.NetWorkXXIII.de for
jabberd, so I'm not sure whether my problem is related to DNS issues at
all.

Maybe there's somebody out there who had more luck in setting up and
running jabberd2 who could help me?

Bye, K&K,
T-Zee

PS: Merry Christmas to everyone!
--
thiesi@NetWork23.Sytes.NET ---- NetBSD: Power to the people!
Tel.: ++49-(0)171-416 05 09 -- Fax: ++49-(0)171-134 16 05 09