Subject: gaim 1.1.0 and MSN
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Luckie <mjl@luckie.org.nz>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/22/2004 09:42:16
Hi

I'm the maintainer for gaim on NetBSD.  I'd like some help in fixing
a problem that is being reported when using gaim with MSN on NetBSD 1.6.
The bug is reported in PR 28690.

The problem occurs when the MSN protocol uses SSL to send the account's
password to the MSN server.  The last thing printed out before gaim freezes
is "gnutls: Handshaking", which corresponds to gaim getting blocked in
gnutls_handshake().  As far as I can tell, this function never returns.

I do not believe the problem is necessarily in gaim.  We have tried
gaim-0.82.1 in place of gaim-1.1.0 and, where this version worked fine
on NetBSD a few months ago, it now blocks at the same place.  I don't
believe the problem is necessarily in (maintainer-less) gnutls either,
as it seems gnutls 1.0.22 and 1.0.23 are both reported to have problems,
and the problem was first noticed in November.

But, the problem is gnutls related, as if I hack gaim to use OpenSSL,
the MSN protocol works.

I'm not sure how to address this problem.  Can someone spare me a clue
and help me with this problem?

If all else fails, I'm nearly done with a pkgsrc entry for nspr, and will
then get nss done, and then get gaim to use nss instead of gnutls.

Thanks

Matthew