Subject: Re: ms-ttf: get rid of license and upload restrictions and move font
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/21/2004 15:54:47
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Thomas Klausner wrote:

> > And moved the files from lib/X11/fonts/TTF/ to
> > share/fonts/TTF/.
>
> Why? All of the other TTF fonts are in lib/X11/fonts/TTF
> too, according to grep pkgsrc/fonts/*/PLIST*.

Trying to have fonts in a consistent location, such as seen on other
systems. Also, share/fonts seems better named that lib/X11/fonts -- in
some cases, the fonts could be reused by various software without X11.

The TTF fonts installed from pkgsrc are not all in lib/X11/fonts/TTF.

We have packages installing fonts (and TTF fonts) all over.

Currently, I have truetype fonts in X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/,
lib/cinelerra/fonts/, lib/X11/fonts, OpenOffice.org1.1.2/share/fonts/,
share/tuxpaint/fonts, and other locations.

My goal is to be able to add fonts (via installing packages) -- and be
able to use immediately (or at least easier) because of fontconfig (for
software that uses it).

 Jeremy C. Reed

	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/