Subject: Re: PR pkg/28685
To: Matt Dainty <matt@bodgit-n-scarper.com>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/18/2004 09:12:32
On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 13:40:40 +0000
Matt Dainty <matt@bodgit-n-scarper.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-12-18 at 13:16, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> > On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 14:01:04 +0100
> > Yah, I never really understood splitting them.  After all, if you
> > are going to build the libs, you probably want to use them somehow
> > which means either also building the server or the client.  If you
> > build the client it depends on the server so that's everything.
>
> Hmm? The client depends on the server? There are plenty of occasions
> where I want the client and don't need/want the server.

Yah, I'm not sure why the dependency is there but it is.

> >   If you build the
> > server, chances are you want the client in order to admin it and
> > that's everything again.  I am sure that there is some theoretical
> > situation that requires pieces but I can't imagine that it would be
> > common practice.
>
> A webserver accessing an external database by either postgresql libs
> directly or through Perl/DBI or PHP, etc. only needs the libs to work.
> Fairly common practice I would've thought.

Sure, that's the "theoretical" situation I alluded to above.  My point,
though, is that in real life the admin is going to want some way to
check the database from time to time and she surely is going to want to
dump the data once in a while.  That brings in the client again.

Anyway, my latest fix is a patch to src/bin/Makefile to remove pg_config
from the build.  Keeping my -lib fix of building it manually that should
take care of the binary cleanly.  Now the problem is the man page.  The
problem there is that the man page is installed along with all the rest
of them from a tar file.

I think I am going to go ahead with this latest change.  It fixes the
PR, the bulk build and probably a few other things.  Having the binary
and the man page installed from different packages isn't great but over
all I think the situation will be greatly improved.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
http://www.NetBSD.org/