Subject: Re: pkg_install BIG problem
To: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@jodi.nimenees.com>
From: Rene Hexel <r.hexel@griffith.edu.au>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/11/2004 12:35:59
On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 15:40 -0600, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:

> 	Now, if you run a 'make update', it should build, _then_ deinstall,
> then install.  I'm thinking this should probably be the default order
> for all packages, but I didn't want to go breaking tons of stuff right
> now if I'm wrong.

  This may work for the top package (the one that you do a "make update"
in), but how do you do this for dependent packages?  E.g., if glib is
updated, then gtk+ and tons of gnome stuff depend on this.  Glib can, of
course, be built first, but once it gets deinstalled (right before the
install, in your scenario), a ton of other packages get (and need to
get) deinstalled as well that have not been built yet.

  The only solution I see is to get UPDATE_TARGET=replace to work
properly.

  Cheers
      ,
   Rene