Subject: Re: pkg_install BIG problem
To: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
From: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/10/2004 20:37:40
--aT9PWwzfKXlsBJM1

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 01:30:19AM -0600, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:

> 	yes that works, but it has the unfortunate drawback that a binary
> package of pkg_install can't be created, thus making it more difficult=20
> than necessary to update a machine w/o pkgsrc sources installed. =20

the big question here is how to handle this for all of the tools
required to bootstrap pkgsrc (including NetBSD for the case of
pkg_install). bootstrap has a very simple pkg.sh which can do simple
package db manipulation and is used to register "digest" as an
installed package.

it seems to me that this might be useful in the absence of
pkg_install, and also to properly register other bootstrap packages so
that they can be updated without causing breakage.

grant.

--aT9PWwzfKXlsBJM1

--aT9PWwzfKXlsBJM1--