Subject: Re: Providing pkgsrc.tar as bz2 as well as gz
To: Andy Wallis <rawallis@comcast.net>
From: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/29/2004 12:43:51
--wzJLGUyc3ArbnUjN

On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 12:13:26PM -0500, Andy Wallis wrote:

> > On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 12:46:55 +1100, Luke  Mewburn wrote,
> > As bzip2 is easily available, is there that much of a need to provide
> > the .gz if we have the .bz2 ?
>=20
> Gzip and bzip2 don't ship with older operating systems like AIX 4, Solari=
s 7=20
> and similar OSes. It become a pain to hunt down binaries to extract pkgsr=
c and
> then build up a system. Recently, I set up a pkgsrc Solaris 7 machine and=
 had
> a wicked time resolving a circular dependency between gzip and patch. I w=
as
> able to kludge it by removing the patches from archivers/gzip but it was=
=20
> suboptimal.
>=20
> As long as the bootstrap-pkgsrc subset is available and extractable in a =
common
> format, I don't care how the main pkgsrc archive is compressed. My person=
al
> perference for the bootstrap to contain gzip so that I have one less depe=
ndency
> to worry about come install time. Has anyone thought about including gzip=
 in
> bootstrap?

I too have encountered this problem on earlier versions of Solaris,
and it would be good to not have to hunt down bzip2/gzip binaries
before being able to get up and running.

the BSD-licensed mrgzip(1) in NetBSD-current would be a good
candidate for pkgsrc and boostrap.

grant.

--wzJLGUyc3ArbnUjN

--wzJLGUyc3ArbnUjN--