Subject: Re: Providing pkgsrc.tar as bz2 as well as gz
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Wallis <rawallis@comcast.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/28/2004 12:13:26
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 12:46:55 +1100, Luke  Mewburn wrote,
> As bzip2 is easily available, is there that much of a need to provide
> the .gz if we have the .bz2 ?

Gzip and bzip2 don't ship with older operating systems like AIX 4, Solaris 7
and similar OSes. It become a pain to hunt down binaries to extract pkgsrc and
then build up a system. Recently, I set up a pkgsrc Solaris 7 machine and had
a wicked time resolving a circular dependency between gzip and patch. I was
able to kludge it by removing the patches from archivers/gzip but it was
suboptimal.

As long as the bootstrap-pkgsrc subset is available and extractable in a common
format, I don't care how the main pkgsrc archive is compressed. My personal
perference for the bootstrap to contain gzip so that I have one less dependency
to worry about come install time. Has anyone thought about including gzip in
bootstrap?

-Andy Wallis