Subject: Re: error building perl
To: borghart steffen <borghart@gmx.de>
From: Jonathan Perkin <jonathan@perkin.org.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/23/2004 15:09:36
* On 2004-11-23 at 14:01 GMT, borghart steffen wrote:

> I just installed the pkgsrc system on my slackware 10.0 box (I took the
> pkgsrc sources from an cvssnapshot).
> The perl58-thread build fails with the following message:
>
> : undefined reference to `main'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> *** Error code 1
>

> Can anyone please tell me what i did wrong?

Nothing, the recent upgrade of perl broke this with the following
change in pkgsrc/lang/perl58/Makefile (diff -r1.55 -r1.56):

    ${ECHO} 'lddlflags="${PERL5_HINTS_LDFLAGS} $$lddlflags"';

This somehow nukes previous settings of lddlflags, which includes
either -G (sunpro/ld) or -shared (gcc) necessary for creating a shared
library.

Comment that line out of the pre-configure target and it should build
fine.  Hopefully Johnny will be able to take a look at this soon and
commit a fix (I would but I don't have a lot of time this week and I
couldn't immediately find anything wrong with what this line does -
switching the args around didn't help).

Cheers,

--
Jonathan Perkin                                     The NetBSD Project
http://www.perkin.org.uk/                       http://www.netbsd.org/