Subject: Re: cross compiling for another NetBSD release
To: NetBSD tech-pkg <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Marton Fabo <morton@eik.bme.hu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/22/2004 22:57:40
>> to build a handful of packages on
>> NetBSD-Y-i386, with the target of NetBSD-X-i386
 >
> It's not really possible for packages....  at least not yet.
>
> Packages are built with the build-host's toolchain, source headers, and
> libraries, and so they are always specific to the build host's currently
> installed and running OS release.

OK, I see. This may be nice having mentioned in the pkgsrc documentation.

Anyway, is it a possible way to go to set up a NetBSD-X environment
within a directory of the build machine, and use it with chroot to
build? I guess in this case the only thing that would still be other (Y)
version in the environment is the kernel.

If this is possible, how should I start realizing it?

byez
mortee