Subject: Re: libtool, C++ shared libraries, and pthreads
To: None <jlam@NetBSD.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/11/2004 17:32:58
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, Johnny C. Lam wrote:

> Okay, that's good.  I was unsure if the fix should depend on ELF or not (I was
> fuzzy on whether it was converting to ELF or updating the system GCC that
> fixed the C++ shared libs).

Well, a.out toolchains still extant in NetBSD 1.5 fixed g++ -shared too, but
a.out is dead since long before NetBSD 2.0, so no big deal there.

> I do think that we should bump the PKGREVISION for libtool-base as a result.

That's a given, and I've done just that (as well as bumped
_OPSYS_LIBTOOL_REQD for NetBSD).

> We also need to bump PKGREVISIONs for all packages that for which
> USE_LIBTOOL=yes and !empty(USE_LANGUAGES:Mc++),

And pthreads.  There are no functional changes for non-threaded packages.
Yes, there's a dependency_libs change, etc, but... is this so critical to
bump for an OS version that is *not released yet*?  (Can you tell I'm
gun-shy about big bump trails after the last big libtool thwack?  :)

> These changes should also be fed back upstream to the libtool developers, too.
> I think that 1.5.x development has stopped, but they'll need something like
> this for the 2.x branch.

I've been granulating our various changes, but just haven't had the time to
feed them back up.  RSN.

Development on libtool 1.5 hasn't halted, but new releases are very low
priority.  Although if I manage to get enough changes into their tree,
maybe....

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>