Subject: Re: "make plist" is broken (before package is installed)
To: Rhialto <rhialto@azenomei.knuffel.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/29/2004 15:55:12
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Rhialto wrote:

> make plist uses ${PLIST} which uses ${_PLIST_AWK_SCRIPT} which uses
> ${_PLIST_AWK_SUBST} which uses ${_PLIST_AWK_LIBTOOL} which is
>
>     system("cd ${PREFIX} && ${SH} ${_PRINT_LA_LIBNAMES} " $$0)

> This is annoying since pkg_hack uses this, and it is still an invaluable
> tool for avoiding the upgrade hell (despite its little problems of
> itself).
>
> Any idea how to fix it? Maybe not try to use the .la file in ${PREFIX}
> but one in the work directory? How to find it?

You can't use the one in the build directory, because it reflects paths in
the build directory, not the install directory.

I don't think there is a way to fix this apart from "staging installs",
which have their own problems.  That much aside, pkgsrc is moving toward
generating more of the PLIST dynamically after the files are installed.

What does pkg_hack do that requires generating the PLIST before install
time?  If this is such a bother, why not try using pkgviews?[*]

[*] I don't use pkgviews myself for various reasons, but then, I watch shlib
    versions by hand and use "make replace" quite frequently.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>