Subject: Re: gcc failed to build
To: David Wilson <dave@overbearing.org>
From: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/17/2004 12:28:29
--S6vg04ofUPzW4qJg

I can shed some light on a few of these..

On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 04:09:01PM -0700, David Wilson wrote:

> ncftp /pub/pkgsrc/packages > cd SunOS-5.9/
> Could not chdir to SunOS-5.9/: server said: SunOS-5.9: Permission denied.

this directory is unreadable because I need to remove files that got
uploaded that should not have been.

> 2) get the solaris bootstrap kit. Are you guys aware that a bogus version=
 of the pkgsrc material is in circulation?   I started this project by inst=
alling pkgsrc from this site:
> http://solarpack.sourceforge.net/

binary bootstrap tarballs for pkgsrc are available from
ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/bootstrap-pkgsrc/

> the howto and the repositories are out of date and in one case give confl=
icting advice with the official site. it is now (I think) correctly configu=
red (see below for environment variables).

it's not bogus - solarpack is (was?) a separate project forked from
pkgsrc. so it may contain information that is not pertinent to pkgsrc
anymore, but pkgsrc itself can't really do much about that...

> [root@otto gcc3]# gcc --version
> gcc (GCC) 3.3.2
> warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOS=
E.
>=20
> [root@otto gcc3]# /usr/pkg/bin/gcc
> bash: /usr/pkg/bin/gcc: No such file or directory
> [root@otto gcc3]# find / -name gcc
> /usr/pkg/gcc3/bin/gcc
> /usr/local/bin/gcc
>=20
> [root@otto bin]# /usr/pkg/gcc3/bin/gcc --version
> gcc (GCC) 3.3.4
> warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOS=
E.

that is correct. gcc is installed into this path to allow multiple
installations of gcc from pkgsrc to co-exist.

grant.

--S6vg04ofUPzW4qJg

--S6vg04ofUPzW4qJg--