Subject: Re: Package naming and major versions [was Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/devel/gal20]
To: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/05/2004 17:53:54
Johnny C. Lam wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 09:47:45PM +0100, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> >
> > One thing that we could look at doing is to have a parent directory
> > "Makefile.inc"-style file, similar to those in src/, which would
> > provide a common way of defining _PKGSRCDIR, and include bsd.pkg.mk
> > appropriately.
>
> What I had in mind was to create Makefile.inc files (great minds think
> alike, eh, Al?) in all package category directories ("subordinate"
> catagories included) that just contain the lines:
>
> 	.if exists("../Makefile.inc")
> 	.  include "../Makefile.inc"
> 	.endif

I prefer if we'd keep the two-level naming scheme we use now - adding
yet another 'indirection' directory is not really necessary and makes
it unncessarily harder to figure what depends on what. Please keep
things simple.

I do agree it would be nice to unify encoding of 'major' version into
pkg names for packages with more than one version in pkgsrc, however.
That should be done, IMHO.

Jaromir
-=- We should be mindful of the potential goal, but as the Buddhist -=-
-=- masters say, ``You may notice during meditation that you        -=-
-=- sometimes levitate or glow.   Do not let this distract you.''   -=-