Subject: Re: which LOCALBASE to use on non-NetBSD systems?
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/28/2004 11:21:28
--JgQwtEuHJzHdouWu

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 06:13:12PM -0400, Jan Schaumann wrote:

> Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.sep.vier@onlinehome.de> wrote:
> =20
> > I would like to suggest that we change the default path for LOCALBASE
> > to /opt/pkg on Solaris.
> >=20
> >   + "Third-party software below /opt" is officially recommended in
> >     Solaris documentation.
> >   + People are used to this from other package systems (/opt/sfw,
> >     /opt/csw) and are less likely to object in comparison to /usr/pkg.
>=20
> This sounds like a very good idea to me.  While I personally do build
> into /usr/pkg on my IRIX systems, there, too, /opt/pkg would be the
> preferred choice, I reckon.

I tend to agree that would be a sensible default (unfortunately :)

> >   - It's not the same path as on the other pkgsrc platforms.
>=20
> That should not be a problem, and any package that fails because of this
> needs to be fixed anyway.

I read Klaus' comment as more of a concern about consistency across
multiple platforms, but that's also a valid point.

personally, I'm too used to /usr/pkg, so while I'm happy to migrate to
the /opt/pkg world, I would probably symlink /usr/pkg -> /opt/pkg :)

grant.

--JgQwtEuHJzHdouWu

--JgQwtEuHJzHdouWu--