Subject: Re: which LOCALBASE to use on non-NetBSD systems?
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Chris Pinnock <cjep@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/27/2004 09:13:09
On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 09:55:36PM +0200, Klaus Heinz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know which path people on Solaris use for LOCALBASE.
>
> Personally. I use LOCALBASE=/opt/pkg on Solaris (and Unixware) because
> /opt is the "traditional" and recommended path for third-party
> software on those systems and a few times I have met resistance to create
> /usr/pkg like NetBSD does.
>
> Another possible path, /usr/local, is often used by packages from
> sunfreeware.com or some manually build software.

I used to (until I became a manager and have less time for details and so on)
use LOCALBASE=/usr/local and gensolpkg on a build machine. The System V
packages that one produces with this install nicely on other Solaris
systems without the pkgsrc tools and can be used in Jump Starts and so
on.

Probably something in /opt would be better.