Subject: Re: odd packaging issue
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/22/2004 09:47:08
Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Louis Guillaume wrote:
>

>>/usr/pkg/bin/krandrtray exists but is not in a package
>>/usr/pkg/bin/krandrinithack exists but is not in a package
>

> Probably should be in kdebase3.

The PLIST in kdebase3 has this...

$ grep HAVE_RANDR PLIST
${HAVE_RANDR}bin/krandrinithack
${HAVE_RANDR}bin/krandrtray
${HAVE_RANDR}lib/kde3/kcm_randr.la
${HAVE_RANDR}lib/kde3/kcm_randr.so
${HAVE_RANDR}lib/kde3/krandrinithack.la
${HAVE_RANDR}lib/kde3/krandrinithack.so
${HAVE_RANDR}lib/libkdeinit_krandrinithack.la
${HAVE_RANDR}lib/libkdeinit_krandrinithack.so
${HAVE_RANDR}share/applications/kde/krandrtray.desktop
${HAVE_RANDR}share/kde/applnk/.hidden/randr.desktop

Do I need to set HAVE_RANDR on the system where the binary packages are
to be installed?

>>/usr/pkg/bin/bdftopcf exists but is not in a package
>>/usr/pkg/bin/fstobdf exists but is not in a package
>>/usr/pkg/bin/mkfontdir exists but is not in a package
>>/usr/pkg/bin/mkfontscale exists but is not in a package
>

> Those are in XFree86-clients package. Probably in xorg-clients package
> too.

It's a NetBSD machine, so I haven't installed XFree86-* packages. The
only packages installed are from the kde3 meta-package.

>>/usr/pkg/etc/openldap/schema/corba.schema exists but is not in a package

>>/usr/pkg/etc/imlib/im_palette-tiny.pal exists but is not in a package
>

> etc files are not registered. They are usually placed in the
> share/examples directory. You may want to double-check your script for
> figuring this out.

Do you mean that these files may not be indexed in the pacakges but
could be installed there by the install script? That way my script would
pick them up as "not in a pacakge".

>>/usr/pkg/info/dir exists but is not in a package
>>/usr/pkg/lib/charset.alias exists but is not in a package
>
> and
>
>>/usr/pkg/share/locale/locale.alias exists but is not in a package
>>/usr/pkg/share/sgml/catalog exists but is not in a package
>>/usr/pkg/share/xml/catalog exists but is not in a package
>

> These could have been generated by several packages.
>

>>/usr/pkg/lib/X11/config/host.def exists but is not in a package
>

> Should be in xorg or XFree86 package. (I had in xorg-tools package.)
>
> Are you using xorg or XFree86?

neither.

>>/usr/pkg/lib/kde3/kcm_randr.so exists but is not in a package
>>/usr/pkg/lib/kde3/kcm_randr.la exists but is not in a package
>>/usr/pkg/lib/kde3/krandrinithack.so exists but is not in a package
>>/usr/pkg/lib/kde3/krandrinithack.la exists but is not in a package
>>/usr/pkg/lib/libkdeinit_krandrinithack.so exists but is not in a package
>>/usr/pkg/lib/libkdeinit_krandrinithack.la exists but is not in a package
>
> and
>
>>/usr/pkg/share/applications/kde/krandrtray.desktop exists but is not in
>>a package
>>/usr/pkg/share/kde/applnk/.hidden/randr.desktop exists but is not in a
>>package
>

> In kdebase3 I assume.

These, I suspect, are probably just as you say:

> The problem is probably that the build system didn't detect something or
> didn't install, so the pkgsrc committer didn't know.

Ok. Let me know if I can do any more.

Thanks,

Louis