Subject: Re: audio/libmikmod AMD64 issue.
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/21/2004 05:28:53
On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 10:52:02AM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 03:47:25AM -0500, Richard Rauch wrote:
> > I looked at the pkgsrc dependencies XMMS had and, I confess, took
> > a guess at which one gave MP3 support---coupled with the crashes
> > I saw and the bugglet referred to on the libmikmod page.  (^&
>
> :)
> AFAIK, it comes with a copy of mpg123 inside.

So it would seem.

> So if mpg123 works, please try to find out if there are
> any changes in the mpg123 package that should get pulled
> over.

I'm not sure that mpg123 has fixed any bugs recently, from the
state (and age) of the files.  The web site doesn't give me
much more hope.  (^&

So far, every MP3 file I've thrown at XMMS under the AMD64 has
caused XMMS to crash after (rough guess) about 3 to 5 minutes of
playtime.  The mpg123 can play these (30 and 60 minute long) MP3
files to completion.  It might be interesting to hear from others
with 64-bit systems.

I haven't really used it heavily with Ogg Vorbis (or other format)
files in a while, so it might be a more general problem if I had
suitable samples to work from.

The number of int-=>ptr conversions I'm seeing in a logfile from
the build is also a bit disturbing, but I'm not sure if any of
those directly relate to what I'm seeing.