Subject: Re: Using sudo in SU_CMD
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/20/2004 10:24:35
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Martin Husemann wrote:

> Same problem happens if you don't use sudo but have root's shell set to
> something from pkgsrc.

Which is one of many reasons I suggested making ROOT_CMD (aka SU_CMD
default) be something like

ROOT_CMD?=	${SU} root ${SH} -c

(note lack of - to prevent treating the shell as a "login shell", and
explicit use of ${SH}.)  I suggested this ages ago to help eliminate root's
dotfile mangling of the pkgsrc environment; see rev 1.798 of bsd.pkg.mk.
This supposedly broke agc, but I now suspect that the breakage involved was
due to the lack of explicit ${SH}.

I'd like to suggest again that the "-" be removed from the default ROOT_CMD,
replaced by adding the explicit ${SH}.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>