Subject: Re: suse/linux default package versions
To: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
From: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/20/2004 09:33:13
--wchHw8dVAp53YPj8

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 01:59:47PM -0500, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:

> 	Given the latest firefox/mozilla/thunderbird vulnerabilities I figured
> it'd be a good thing to take a look at updating those packages.  Well,
> actually just firefox, since that's what I use.  (yes, I know there's a
> freeze right now)
>=20
> 	Those need the 9.1 version of the suse libraries.  I was thinking
> about changing the default linux emul packages to be those, and adding
> a variable (LINUX_USE_SUSE73) to use the old ones if necessary.
>=20
> 	So far, the new libraries seem to work ok for me, but I'm using -current
> and 2.0.  Does anyone know if they work on 1.6.x?  What has other
> people's experience with the stability of the new suse packages been?

about half the time, Firefox/Mozilla/etc. segfault on startup using
these libraries for me on -current (though admittedly I haven't tried
it for a while, so maybe the compat_linux bugs have been fixed). I
observed the same with the Debian pkgs I imported into wip.

I would prefer that we get the Debian pkgs into pkgsrc and default to
those, as SuSE have de-supported everything but i386, which is
inappropriate for pkgsrc.

If you really want to add a knob to use the suse91 pkgs, do that
for now instead of making it the default (better the devil we know..)

grant.

--wchHw8dVAp53YPj8

--wchHw8dVAp53YPj8--