Subject: Re: SCO-ware support in pkgsrc (Was: Re: enabling $AWK, $SED, etc. with
To: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.sep.vier@onlinehome.de>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/18/2004 11:23:52
Klaus Heinz wrote:
> This would help pkgsrc on Unixware as well. mkdir(1) on this OS is
> (IMHO) braindead as 'mkdir -p a/b/c/d' works every time but returns an
> exit code of 2 if either a, b, c or d did exist beforehand. In the case
> of bootstrap I provide a shell script bootstrap/files/mkdir-sh to work
> around this.
>
> I don't know whether the behaviour of mkdir(1) has been fixed in
> versions later than Unixware 7.1.1.

I'd rather not support any kind of SCO-ware. They are damaging
UNIX community and don't deserve any user loyalty - people
should migrate to different OS offering ASAP (being it NetBSD
or Solaris or Linux, doesn't matter that much). Besides "political"
reasons, the company will be consumed by legal fees and paying
damages once the trials will be all resolved. It's better to migrate
soon at your convenience, rather than being forced to migrate by
dissolved support later anyway.

It would be good to improve the COMPAT_IBCS2 binary emulation in NetBSD
to help with the migration. It might be interesting to know
what kind of applications do people still run on UnixWare ...

Jaromir
-=- We should be mindful of the potential goal, but as the Buddhist -=-
-=- masters say, ``You may notice during meditation that you        -=-
-=- sometimes levitate or glow.   Do not let this distract you.''   -=-