Subject: xpm and imake problem on Solaris - xpkgwedge releated?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Urban Boquist <urban@boquist.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/13/2004 17:06:02
Hi all,

I'm building pkgsrc on Solaris 8 and many packages build just
fine. Kudos to all pkgsrc developers that have taken portability to
this new level!

But, a show-stopper for me right now seems to be xpm and/or imake.

My system does not have libxpm installed, but when I try to build
graphics/xpm something goes wrong with imake, it seems to forget that
I am using GCC and not the Sun native CC:

gcc: unrecognized option `-Xc'
gcc: language cg92 not recognized
gcc: data.c: linker input file unused because linking not done

this is strange since I have these set correctly:

$ bmake VARNAME=IMAKEOPTS show-var
-DHasGcc2=YES -DHasGcc2ForCplusplus=YES
$ bmake VARNAME=IMAKE show-var
/usr/openwin/bin/imake -DHasGcc2=YES -DHasGcc2ForCplusplus=YES

But the actual imake command that gets run is just:

imake -DUseInstalled -I/proj/BND/tmp/qurbboq/pkg/lib/X11/config -I/usr/openwin/lib/X11/config

which in turn seems to come from pkgxmkmf, part of xpkgwedge.

I tried passing IMAKEOPTS into pkgxmkmf but that is not enough in
itself, it only works for the top level imake. When it is makeing
Makefiles recursively it goes back to just:

IMAKE = imake -I$(PREFIX)/lib/X11/config -I$(VIEWBASE)/lib/X11/config

(that is from the top-level Makefile generated by imake).

There is also something strange going on at the end of xpkgwedge.def
that looks like it could possibly lose some imake options?

Has anyone seen this before, or have any hints on how this is supposed
to work?

I'm doing all this as non-root, if that could matter.

Best regards,

     -- Urban