Subject: Re: auxillary program settings for install-sh?
To: Georg Schwarz <geos@epost.de>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/12/2004 12:59:56
On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 12:43:31 +0200
geos@epost.de (Georg Schwarz) wrote:

> install-sh has the following auxillary program settings:
>
> mvprog="${MVPROG-mv}"
> cpprog="${CPPROG-cp}"
> chmodprog="${CHMODPROG-chmod}"
> chownprog="${CHOWNPROG-chown}"
> chgrpprog="${CHGRPPROG-chgrp}"
> stripprog="${STRIPPROG-strip}"
> rmprog="${RMPROG-rm}"
> mkdirprog="${MKDIRPROG-mkdir}"
>
> It seems like these *PROG variables are not set by pkgsrc, making the
> definition default to the generic tool found in the shell path.
> pkgsrc has these defines, but without "PROG". Is this the intended
> behaviour? If not, what would be better?
> a) removing the PROG in install-sh's definitions?

I don't think this is possible [1], given that install-sh comes with almost
every package that uses GNU Autoconf (we'd have to patch every package...).

> b) have pkgsrc set these variables as well? (probably easier)

Yes, we could set them in MAKE_ENV, using the values from defs.*.mk.

[1] In fact, it could be easier (and maybe cleaner) if we stored our own
install-sh script in mk/gnu-config and automatically overrided the one
included in packages, just like we do with libtool...

Cheers

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/