Subject: stripping binaries (was Re: building graphics/xpm: help needed
To: Georg Schwarz <geos@epost.de>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/11/2004 15:19:50
On Sat, 11 Sep 2004, Georg Schwarz wrote:

> The binaries (in /usr/local/pkg/bin) are installed unstripped. Would it
> be a good idea to have them stripped? And if so, what would be the
> preferred way to accomplish that? Should I maybe not use the standard
> install (of Makefile.noX) at all?

I added the following to my mk/bsd.pkg.mk a few months ago.

+.if !empty(CC_VERSION:Mgcc*)
+# and maybe have an option to say to use _STRIPFLAG_CC ??
+CFLAGS+=       ${_STRIPFLAG_CC}
+.endif
+

Also the exim package used to have:
 # XXX: The following will be handled by buildlink2 at some point.
 CFLAGS+=               ${_STRIPFLAG_CC}

I don't think it was ever "handled".

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 open source, Unix, *BSD, Linux training