Subject: Re: Package Pain Prevention Procedure
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/08/2004 18:04:50
On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Erik Osheim wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 12:18:18PM +0100, Gavan Fantom wrote:
>> install the new binaries. i use pkg_chk -r ; pkg_chk -abk to do that, but
>> that depends on having pkgchk.conf set up.
>
> When you say "having pkgchk.conf set up" what do you mean exactly?

I mean that pkgchk.conf must contain all the packages you want pkg_chk to
install.

> As far as I can tell, running pkg_chk -r will delete all the out-of-date
> packages, and pkg_chk -abk will add missing packages (that have been
> uninstall with -r) using binary packages (that we just built) and
> continuing if there are errors.

pkg_chk -r will delete all the out-of-date packages, that is correct.

pkg_chk -abk will install packages specified in pkgchk.conf, and will do
so from binary packages. If you do not list a package in pkgchk.conf (and
it's not pulled in as a dependency) it will not be installed. That is why
I mentioned pkgchk.conf being set up correctly.

> How do you avoid uninstalling packages for which the compilation failed
> (-r removes all old packages if I understand correctly)? Is this what
> pkgchk.conf is for?

You don't run pkg_chk -r until you have successfully built all of the
binary packages with pkg_comp.

--
Gillette - the best a man can forget