Subject: Re: pkgsrc init script for linux
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Amitai Schlair <schmonz@schmonz.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/02/2004 20:19:52
Luciano Rodrigues Furtado wrote:

> I would like to know if pkgsrc ships by default , any initscripts for
> packages like Apache for operating system different from NetBSD, like
> Linux for instance, if not whats the best approach to handle this in
> clean way, i am trying to avoid creating my own initscript.

As Jeremy mentioned, some packages' rc.d scripts can be used as-is on
other platforms, at least for the basics. Most of them assume the
presence of (the very useful) /etc/rc.subr; some fraction of these are
able to at least "start" in its absence.

Compared with pkgtools/rcorder and the bootstrap tools, it's clear that
pkgtools/rc.subr needs improvement: it's not available on all our
supported pkgsrc platforms, and it's not trivial to update it regularly
from src/etc/rc.subr. If these are addressed, we'll be in good shape --
all the rc.d scripts in pkgsrc will easily work on any supported pkgsrc
platform.

Jeremy has made some improvements to wip/rc.subr, and has noted some
ideas in the TODO therein. Please feel free to join pkgsrc-wip (if you
haven't already) and contribute.

The second part of the problem is that non-NetBSD platforms have their
own style of boot scripts, and arrangements need to be made for each
platform to run all the pkgsrc-installed rc.d scripts somewhere along
the way. This is fairly high on my TODO list.

- Amitai