Subject: openoffice-linux suggestions
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/01/2004 12:45:58
(I blind carbon copied the maintainer too.)

I had mentioned that I am working on building openoffice from source under
Linux. Well it doesn't work for me when buildlinking, but building with
dmake directly in source ${WRKSRC} is working. I have not completed a
build yet. This has been going for days ... Sure wish that openoffice
didn't bundle in tons of code from other projects.

Anyways installing and packaging openoffice-linux under Linux worked. I do
have some suggestions:

1) maybe should be renamed s/openoffice-linux/openoffice-bin/

So under Linux this would be clear that this is the binaries direct from
openoffice.org. Prior art is www/firefox-bin, www/firefox-gtk2-bin and
www/mozilla-bin.

2) Installer failed but continued to successfully (so it thinks) to
install:

Installation starting, please be patient ...
glibc version: 2.3.2

Initializing installation program...................not enough space on the dest
ination drive
ExitCode: 20
.

Installation Completed
/bin/rm -f /usr/bin/soffice.orig

It should stop the pkgsrc install if it can.

3) soffice script assumes mktemp is available. Maybe rewrite or DEPEND on
mktemp.

/usr/bin/soffice: line 1: mktemp: command not found
/usr/bin/soffice: Can't create temp file, exiting...

(I can provide a workaround.)

4) Installation said:

unpack file: /usr/OpenOffice.org1.1.2//home/reed/.gnome/apps/OpenOffice.org 1.1.2/gnomeapps.zip
unpack file: /usr/OpenOffice.org1.1.2//home/reed/.gnome2/vfolders/applications/gnome2apps.zip

What is this? I don't see these files there or in my home.

5) Also the installer has some backup problem:

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root root   40 Sep  1 11:32 /usr/bin/soffice.orig.orig.orig -> /usr/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/program/soffice

(Please note I am using /usr as my LOCALBASE. This got me thinking ...
/usr/Software looks strange. Maybe we could have some variable to choose
alternative LOCALBASE for packages that install like this:
misc/openoffice-linux, gcc3, guile, qt3, tct, xcdroast... I am not sure
though.)

6) Also please add explanation to Makefile or DESCR to indicate what that
services.rdb file is for.

7) If setup fails in soffice it still tries to run:

./setup -nogui -r:/tmp/soffice.16262/soffice

/usr/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/program/setup.bin: error while loading shared
libraries: libX11.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

Done.  Starting OpenOffice ...
/usr/bin/soffice: line 64: /home/reed/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/soffice: No such
file or directory

8) The problem above is caused because Linux systems assume that
/usr/X11/lib is included in /etc/ld.so.cache.

Maybe
  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/X11R6/lib:/lib:/usr/lib
can be added to top of soffice script.
It worked for me. And could be based on
${X11BASE}/lib

I have now used the package on two boxes.

Thank you for listening.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 open source, Unix, *BSD, Linux training
	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/