Subject: Re: using nroff with pkgsrc?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/15/2004 18:21:04
--pE2VAHO2njSJCslu

Georg Schwarz <geos@epost.de> wrote:
> Some packages (e.g. lang/f2c) assume that nroff is available on the
> system. On IRIX 5.3 there is no native nroff. Would it thus make sense
> to have a dependency on texproc/groff?

I don't think that this is desirable -- textproc/groff depends on:
graphics/netpbm print/psutils print/ghostscript-gnu lang/perl58

We wouldn't want to build all this gunk just to get nroff.

> Is there a variable for nroff, e.g. NROFF, to be used, i.e. to include
> the full path?

Currently, there isn't.  I think we should create a nroff-only package,
if possible.  Various packages use nroff.  The last time this came up
was with security/audit-packages, IIRC, where he kludged our way around
the problem at hand by providing a pre-generated man-page so we wouldn't
need to invoke nroff.

-Jan

--=20
"Alright," said Deep Thought. "The Answer to the  Great  Question..."
"Yes ...!" "Of Life, the Universe and Everything ..." said Deep Thought.
"Yes ...!" "Is ..." said Deep Thought, and paused. "Yes ...!" "Is ..."
"Yes ..!!!..?" "Forty-two," said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and ca=
lm.

--pE2VAHO2njSJCslu

--pE2VAHO2njSJCslu--