Subject: Re: Patch to resume transfers on pkgsrc (finally!)
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/24/2004 10:35:02
On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 10:51:42AM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 10:09:19AM +0200, Juan RP wrote:
> > What do you think guys now?
>
> I don't think it should ever automagically refetch.

Why not?

I've had several cases where a fetch got interrupted, pkgsrc doesn't
handle it very well at all.

It the case of a 'size error' or 'checksum error' I see several option:
a) abort the install
b) continue assuming the file is actually correct
c) use 'reget' (or equiv.) to complete the fetch
d) as (c) but start reading 1 block before the end of the file (as a check
   that the file hasn't changed).
e) delete the file and fetch it again
f) as (e) but use a different ftp server

IIRC, at the moment, you have a choice between 'a' and 'b'.

The check in 'd' is needed when a pkg file is updated (probably getting
bigger) without the version number changing - otherwise you can end
up with the entire 'old' version with the tail end of teh 'new' one
appended.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk