Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/sysutils/cdrdao
To: Charles M. Hannum <abuse@spamalicious.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/18/2004 22:37:57
On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, Charles M. Hannum wrote:

> On Monday 19 July 2004 02:57, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>>>
>>> Catching up on the tech-kern messages just now, I've been wondering
>>> if "EMPTY" or "UNSPEC" or "MISSING" might be better than "UNKNOWN".
>>> Probably just my personal taste...  :-)
>>
>> I briefly considered "Unspecified", except that doesn't fit in the
>> eight letters allowed. "BLANK" might be good, since the field is
>> actually 8 space characters, except I can just about imagine a company
>> named "BLANK", and no user should care that the field is space-filled,
>> but only that there's no useful information in it.
>
> Perhaps making it use the SCSI INQUIRY info instead would fix the problem...

It seems to me that "cdrdao" is using SCSI INQUIRY. When I changed the
return value of ata_get_parms() in "sys/dev/ata/ata.c", it changed the
kernel message text, but not the result of "cdrdao" or "scsictl". This
manufacturer is apparently very shy, and does not want us to get its
name in any fashion whatsoever.

Frederick