Subject: Re: pkgsrc/AIX
To: Peter Schmiedeskamp <pschmied@yahoo.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/08/2004 12:32:13
On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Peter Schmiedeskamp wrote:

> Jeez, these all sound like really great suggestions.
> Is there a person or persons with the
> expertise/authority to step up and make a desision on
> some of these outstanding AIX issues?

erh@NetBSD committed the initial support for AIX for pkgsrc.
Also, there might be a aix-pkg-people AT netbsd, but I don't know.

> I'm willing to step up to help write patches, etc. as
> time permits.  Is there a description of how to submit
> such items?

Feel free to share some patches to this list.

Or consider using NetBSD's gnats to submit the patches so they don't get
lost. wip/send-pr may be useful for you.

> > - use gawk, gm4 and so on whenever possible, AIX's
> > versions are either
> > broken or too old

Maybe mk/tools.mk can be modified to add AIX to the
_TOOLS_OPSYS_INCOMPAT.awk and _TOOLS_OPSYS_INCOMPAT.m4 and others as
needed.

> > - avoid AIX's indent - it crashes if input gets too
> > big

Maybe revised mk/tools.mk can be improved to handle "indent" too. Then
packages needing indent for build/install can use USE_GNU_TOOLS+=indent
(or later USE_TOOLS+=indent).

> > - maybe set MOTIFBASE=/usr/dt - can't think of any
> > good reason to use
> > lesstif or OpenMotif on AIX, IBM's motif seems to be
> > pretty ok.

I don't know dt, but maybe have a look at mk/motif.buildlink3.mk. I think
it assigns MOTIFBASE to /usr/dt if /usr/dt/include/Xm/Xm.h and
/usr/dt/include/Xm/Gadget.h exist.

What should it check for under AIX and your /usr/dt?

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 open source, Unix, *BSD, Linux training
	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/