Subject: Re: installing teTeX and pressing enter
To: Roland C. Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
From: Dave <dgriffi@cs.csubak.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/06/2004 23:00:42
On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Roland C. Dowdeswell wrote:

> On 1089146310 seconds since the Beginning of the UNIX epoch
> Dave wrote:
> >

> >In the course of installing teTeX, one is asked to press Enter several
> >times.  Is this really necessary?
>
> Is TEXINPUTS set?  This seems to cause my build to:
>
> 	i.   require user input, and
> 	ii.  fail.

Yes.  Here's what happens when I do "sudo make install" in print/teTeX:

[chug chug chug]
texconfig has found the following environment variables set:

 BIBINPUTS = .:/home/dave/.texmf/bibtex//:/usr/pkg/share/texmf/bibtex//
 BSTINPUTS = .:/home/dave/.texmf/bibtex//:/usr/pkg/share/texmf/bibtex//
 TEXINPUTS = .:/home/dave/.texmf/tex//:/usr/pkg/share/texmf/tex//

This path prohibits a default expansion. as it contains no : at either
end, nor :: somewhere in the middle.  Please make sure, that these paths
are ok, and otherwise change or unset them.  If you continue with wrong
values for the above variables, texconfig might run into trouble when
locating files on the disk.

Note that you can refer to the default path by giving an "empty" path
component (i.e. a colon in front or in the end, or a doubled colon
somewhere in the middle).

If you set TEXINPUTS, e.g. to :~/TeX/macros, (La)TeX will search along
the default path and then in ~/TeX/macros.

For more information, see the Kpathsea and the teTeX manual.

Press RETURN to continue (or Control-C to abort)...
[wait]

Okay, it looks like it might not be pkgsrc doing this.  So, I suppose the
solution is to unset TEXINPUTS prior to doing anything that causes teTeX
to be rebuilt.  If so, this is still a bit of an annoyance that should
probably be fixed.

--
David Griffith
dgriffi@cs.csubak.edu