Subject: Re: cleaning up compiler.mk
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org, jmmv@NetBSD.org>
From: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/04/2004 00:01:51
--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD

On Sat, Jul 03, 2004 at 03:50:06PM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:

> Hi!
>=20
> mk/compiler.mk currently contains:
> # Support some deprecated variables for a while.  They'll be removed
> # after the pkgsrc-2004Q2 branch is cut.
>=20
> This includes:
> USE_GCC2, USE_GCC3, USE_PKGSRC_GCC, USE_SUNPRO, and USE_MIPSPRO.
>=20
> However, there is still a number of packages using some of these
> variables:
> USE_PKGSRC_GCC:
> cross/h8300-hms-gcc
> devel/prc-tools
>=20
> These two seem to set it to get compiled with gcc2, though
> I'm not quite sure.

gcc2 from pkgsrc or NetBSD base? what NetBSD release?

> x11/kdelibs2
> x11/kdelibs3
> x11/neXtaw
> x11/xfce
>=20
> These set it only on alpha machines, seems to be some
> alpha gcc workaround. These probably were USE_GCC2 in the
> past. Should they set GCC_REQD to 3.0 instead (like for
> arm in kdelibs)?

we normally only set GCC_REQD to 3.0 if it really is required -
GCC_REQD+=3D2.95 should do for those.

> USE_GCC3:
> lang/perl5 (unsets it)
> pkgtools/pkg_comp (references it)
>=20
> Matter of cleanup only. I'll do that.
>=20
> USE_MIPSPRO:
> textproc/xmlcatmgr
>=20
> Tests if it is set -- this should probably be using CC_VERSION
> instead. jmmv, could you please fix?

I have fixed this.

> Any comments on how to change the packages using USE_PKGSRC_GCC?

the instances I know of USE_PKGSRC_GCC were there because lang/gcc
(the newest at the time) had changes that the base NetBSD compiler did
not.

these days, it should be able to be replaced by GCC_REQD=3D3.0 I
suspect.

grant.

--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD

--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD--