Subject: Re: ftp hanging
To: None <hf@spg.tu-darmstadt.de>
From: Christian Hattemer <c.hattemer@arcor.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/25/2004 11:56:39
Hauke Fath wrote:

> 229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||49563|)
>
> ....and then it hangs indefinitely.

I also had this problem. This happens on 1.6.2 and 2.0BETA.
However it doesn't hang forever here but will timeout.

My solution was to create a .netrc with this content:

default
macdef init
epsv4 off

This will disable the extended passive mode and all is well.
Finding the real cause of the problem is left as an exercise. :-)

Another issue I had with ftp is that sometimes the remote
server closes the connection without sending a reset. The
transfer starts normally and stalls somewhere in the middle.
Now ftp hangs waiting for the transfer to continue. It only
notices the broken connection when interrupting it manually.

Bye, Chris