Subject: Re: databases.mk (new mk for packages using
To: Juan RP <juan@xtraeme.unixbsd.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/10/2004 10:00:15
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 09:34:14 +0200
Juan RP <juan@xtraeme.unixbsd.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 09:25:36 +0200
> Juan RP <juan@xtraeme.unixbsd.org> wrote:
>
> > [1] Actually we cannot have two mysql*/pgsql* installed, because they
> >       install the same files into the same directories, this could be fixed
> >       renaming the packages to use ${PKGBASE} instead of ${DISTNAME}.
>
> Typing too fast, heh... if we want to install two *sql* packages, we'll have to
> install the files in different directories.

What do you mean?  exim with mysql on one hand and exim with postgresql on
the other?  In that case, USE_DB.exim3="mysql postgresql" as grant said ;)

> Anyway, I don't see any point about having installed two postgresql-lib
> packages...

For example, to migrate a system running an old version to a new one.  You need
both versions to dump & restore the database, and minimize the risk of breaking
everything.  (This was discussed when 7.4 was added, with more reasons that
this).

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>