Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/multimedia/xine-lib
To: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/29/2004 20:43:39
On Sun, 30 May 2004, grant beattie wrote:

> > What is a broken binary package?
>
> one whose PLIST does not match its contents.

I am not sure how that can happen (with a package).

> > There was no package for Linux. It could not be packaged in the first
> > place.
>
> that is not necessarily true as there are paths which will allow
> creation of broken binary pkgs. since you added a bunch of files to
> PLIST.Linux, this also suggests that those files would not have been
> included in the binary pkg which is bad.

I still don't know how it could be done unless someone manually modified
the +CONTENTS file to remove the four entries for non-installed files and
then used pkg_tarup.

("make package" wouldn't work and I didn't think pkg_tarup will work when
+CONTENTS file lists nonexistent files.)

> bumping the PKGREVISION is the safest option.

It is fine. I was just thinking that once I added a PLIST.FreeBSD (or
other OPSYS) I would bump it then.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/