Subject: Re: net/coda{,5}_* packages
To: Hauke Fath <hf@spg.tu-darmstadt.de>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/12/2004 09:08:48
There are two problems with cruft in the pkgsrc coda world:

1) Coda documentation itself is crufty.  The current cvs doesn't have
   man pages with the programs, and there is some other way to get man
   pages, and I believe they are not up to date.

2) Coda 5 is old and abandoned, and version 6 is where active
   use/development is.  6 has 'realms' support, so a client can access
   different administrative groups of servers.

   The kernel support in -current has been updated for this (file ids
   have an additional 32-bit realm tag).  There is a patch for
   netbsd-1-6 that I'm running; it's on the coda website or ask me.

   Version 6 is GPL.  Version 5 has some cmu/afs/ibm type license.  So
   there is some notion that some people may want to stay with 5.

I use coda (to store files that I care about), and I am running
version 6 from coda cvs.

I think that what should happen is:

  add coda6 pkgsrc entries, and update rpc2/lwp/rvm

  remove all the coda4/coda5 entries.

  perhaps commit the 'realms patch' into netbsd-1-6.  This changes the
  ABI, but if coda5 is declared crufty and there are coda6 pkgsrc
  entries, I think the users would be better served than by
  maintaining compatibility.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>