Subject: RE: #define name for non-root pkg_install tools
To: 'Todd Vierling' <tv@duh.org>
From: Mark Funkenhauser <mfunkenhauser@rogers.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/10/2004 11:37:47

When your machine becomes part of a Windows domain, then the
domain\Administrators group becomes part of the local Administrators
group.
And the domain Administrator is normally a member of the
domain\Administrators
group.

> : I guess it depends if any of the pkg_* tools assume that the current
> : user is privileged.
>
> At the moment, pkg_* in pkgsrc does not do the permissions
> check on Interix at all.

That's not what I was getting at.
It's a question of what operations the pkg_* tools perform
and what privileges these ops require in order to be successful.

If any of these operations require a particular privilege,
then it may be reasonable to check that the current user has these
privileges first - rather than erroring out with permission or access
denied
in the middle of a critical operation.