Subject: Re: pdf plugin under firefox for Linux
To: Jonathan Perkin <jonathan@perkin.org.uk>
From: Bryan Vyhmeister <netbsd@bsdjournal.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/04/2004 22:34:45
Jonathan Perkin wrote:

>>The error that appears when I try to start firefox-linux with
>>firefox-bin-java installed is as follows:
>>
>>LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library
>>/usr/pkg/java/sun-1.3.1/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so
>>[/usr/pkg/java/sun-1.3.1/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so:
>>undefined symbol: __vt_17nsGetServiceByCID]
>>
>>Any ideas how to solve this?
>
> Yes, the firefox binary is built using GCC3.* while the java
> plugin from the sun-1.3.1 distribution uses GCC2.*, causing
> incompatibilities with the shared libraries.  You need to use
> the GCC3.*-compiled plugin which is available in the 1.4 JRE.
>
> Try applying the attached diffs to fix the problem, I've been
> running them for a while on my laptop with no issues.
>
> I'd like to commit this if it works ok for other people, I'm
> just wary as to why it hasn't already been done yet as the
> package has been broken for quite a while.  Not knowing anything
> about Java makes me more wary.
>
> As a side note, I think the MOZILLA_USE_LINUX thing is too
> confusing, and these packages should clearly be marked that they
> are Linux-only, as the current out-of-the-box default for pkgsrc
> is to install them blindly to the firefix-netbsd directory when
> they have no hope of working in there.

I'm going to test the patch either tonight or tomorrow morning. I have
noticed that the sun-jre14 package does not work on 1.6.2. It only works
on current or 2.0_BETA. I suppose this doesn't make that much of a
difference because the current firefox-bin-java package based on
sun-jre13 doesn't work anyway on 1.6.2, 2.0_BETA, or current.

Something should be mentioned about MOZILLA_USE_LINUX in the DESCR or
something for firefox-bin-java and maybe even firefox-bin. As far as I
know, that option is not documented anywhere helpful.

Bryan