Subject: Re: problems installing pkgsrc packages; no such file /usr/pkg/PLIST
To: VaX#n8 <vax@carolina.rr.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/04/2004 11:43:47
On Tue, 4 May 2004, VaX#n8 wrote:

> The package I'm working on is available here:
> http://vaxn8.tripod.com/tcfs/NetBSD162/index.html

You may want to consider joining http://pkgsrc-wip.sourceforge.com/ and
using pkgsrc-wip for your testing.

I see you already have solved your problem. But I already started looking
at your package. ... And I have comments:

install -c -o root -g wheel -m 555
/usr/local/pkgsrc/new/tcfs/files/Makefile
/usr/pkg/tmp/pkgsrc/new/tcfs/work.rainier/Makefile
install: /usr/pkg/tmp/pkgsrc/new/tcfs/work.rainier/Makefile: chown/chgrp:
Operation not permitted
*** Error code 1

You should not use INSTALL_* commands in your pre_build target. But maybe
that is acceptable for this package. But that implies that I need to be
root to do the build.

But it seems dangerous or wrong for an pkgsrc user to attempt a package
build and then later see that it modified their system source. Maybe there
should be a variable that must be defined before allowing this?

Also, maybe use  ${LN} instead of ln and ${RM} instead of rm.

 Jeremy C. Reed

	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/