Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/misc/openoffice
To: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
From: Michael Rauch <mrauch@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/04/2004 11:27:03
Hi,

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 10:07:29AM +1000, Daniel Carosone wrote:
> This is most excellent, thankyou - I have been looking forward to a
> native OOo for some time.  Now I just have to wait another few days
> for it to build, I guess :)

12 hours on my Athlon 1.3 GHz.

> One thing I noticed in the Makefile still:
> ONLY_FOR_PLATFORM=      NetBSD-1.6Z[G-Z]*-i386 NetBSD-[2-9]*-i386
> Why only i386, if this is a source build?

There is interface code which allows using plugins written in different
programing languages, and also throw exceptions across language boundaries.
The C++ part of this interface needs to know the data layout in the
registers and on the stack which is processor-dependent, and is also partly
written in assembler.
That code exists for powerpc and sparc on Linux and depends mostly only on
the compiler, not the OS, so with some test-compiling volunteers at least
the platforms with those two processor types are hopefully ready soon as
well.

The java parts are disabled for now as the code uses the libjvm.so which has
to be a native one, and there isn't yet a native sun-jdk in pkgsrc.
(Changing that is however only a matter of flipping the configure switch.
I've tested it against the one in pkgsrc-wip and it works fine.)

Michael