Subject: Re: SDL Issues With Mac OS X
To: Randy Beaudreault <maccult@pacbell.net>
From: Dan Winship <danw@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/04/2004 00:17:57
On May 3, 2004, at 9:59 PM, Randy Beaudreault wrote:
> I've run into an interesting set of issues in trying to build SDL_net
> on Mac OS X.3.3.

You'll run into more before you're done. The UNIX-based build system
for SDL on OS X doesn't seem to work quite right. I was never able to
build anything more complex than one of the simple demo programs.

> I run the SDL_net configure problem when I go to bmake it after I do
> the afore mentioned convolution.  During the configure phase for
> SDL_net under bmake, configure dies when it checks for SDL version >
> 1.2.4.  When I hand run configure for SDL_net, configure runs all the
> way through.  Why are there the differences between hand running
> things and bmaking things?

buildlink. When bmake configures it, PATH includes
${WRKDIR}/.buildlink/bin, so you get wrapper scripts instead of the
real compiler, etc. In this case, IIRC, I think it's that the buildlink
framework is stripping out the references to the Cocoa frameworks.
Adding
     BUILDLINK_PASSTHRU_DIRS+= /System /Library /Developer
to the package Makefile might fix things

> P. S. To help me troubleshoot this kind of issue in the future, is
> there a way I can capture the commands actually issued during bmaking
> (and hand configuring and making)?

bmake PKG_DEBUG_LEVEL=1

will make it show the commands it's running. PKG_DEBUG_LEVEL=2 will
also make it use "sh -x" rather than just "sh" to run shell scripts.

-- Dan