Subject: pkgsrc with debian/woody - problems with libXaw
To: tech-pkg@NetBSD.org <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: ing.Nicola Bolla <nicola.bolla@erogasmet.it>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/03/2004 09:37:23
--=-p/GSr9Tswb9KcxgamN+7

--
--- ing.Nicola Bolla
--- Erogasmet S.p.A.

--=-p/GSr9Tswb9KcxgamN+7

Hi,
I've been a debian and FreeBSD user for a few years now. I
always had the feeling of missing something in Linux not having
something like the BSD package system. As a user (I'm not a
professional programmer) I like the architecture of the BSD systems: a
very essential, neat and solid OS (kernel + basic utilities) plus an
infrastructure to let me build and install from sources the single
applications as soon as they are considered stable from the upstream
developers.=20

So I was delighted to discover that the NetBSD pkgsrc infrastructure was
ported to linux and I was impatient to try it expecially after reading
Martti Kuparinen paper "Slackware Linux with pkgsrc Packages" where the
process described seems to be quite easy.

Been a faithfull debian user I tried the pkgsrc port on a debian/woody
fresh minimal installation (all required, important & standard packages,
+ xfree86 + the Development "C and C++" section of tasksel).=20
But unfortunatelly I got error messages,either form the compilation or=20
from the configure process. I succeded in working through some of these
errors; but now I am at an ending point.

They told me that tecn-pkg could be the right list to ask for help.

So here are a few problems

Installing some packages requiring Xaw, for example teTex-bin, there is
the following error:

gcc -o oxdvi.bin -L/usr/pkg/lib -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib -L/usr/lib
-Wl,-R/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -Wl,-R/usr/X11R6/lib xdvi.o dvi-draw.o
dvi-init.o events.o font-open.o string-utils.o my-vsnprintf.o
my-snprintf.o help-window.o message-window.o statusline.o xserver-info.o
gf.o pk.o psdps.o psgs.o psheader.o psnews.o special.o=A0 util.o vf.o
sfDir.o sfDraw.o sfPath.o sfSelFile.o hypertex.o mime.o wwwfetch.o
alloca.o dvips.o tfmload.o -L/usr/pkg/lib -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib -lwwwxml
-lxmltok -lxmlparse -lwwwzip -lwwwinit -lwwwapp -lwwwhtml -lwwwtelnet
-lwwwnews -lwwwhttp -lwwwmime -lwwwgopher -lwwwftp -lwwwfile -lwwwdir
-lwwwcache -lwwwstream -lwwwmux -lwwwtrans -lwwwcore -lwwwutils -lmd5
-ldl -lz -L/usr/pkg/lib -lssl -lcrypto -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib -L/usr/pkg/lib
-lt1 -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXaw -lXmu -lXt -lSM -lICE -lXext -lX11 -lz
../kpathsea/STATIC/libkpathsea.a -lm /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXaw
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [oxdvi.bin] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/pkgsrc/print/teTeX-bin/work/tetex-src-2.0.2/texk/oxdvik'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/pkgsrc/print/teTeX-bin/work/tetex-src-2.0.2/texk'
make: *** [all] Error 1
*** Error code=20

I installed from the underlying debian/woody the following packages:

ii libxaw6 4.1.0-16woody3 X Athena widget set library (version
6)
ii libxaw7 4.1.0-16woody3 X Athena widget set library
ii libxaw7-dev 4.1.0-16woody3 X Athena widget set library
development file
ii xaw3dg 1.5-13 Xaw3d widget set
ii xaw3dg-dev 1.5-13 Xaw3d widget set development package

.. and I verified that the following libraries are in place:

nbolla-bs1:/usr/X11R6/lib# ls |grep -i xaw
libXaw.a
libXaw.so
libXaw.so.6
libXaw.so.6.1
libXaw.so.7
libXaw.so.7.0
libXaw3d.a
libXaw3d.so
libXaw3d.so.6
libXaw3d.so.6.1
nbolla-bs1:/usr/X11R6/lib#

.. so I cannot understand why ld cannot find Xaw!

Thanks

--=-p/GSr9Tswb9KcxgamN+7--