Subject: Re: Proposal: SYSTEMBASE
To: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/01/2004 09:41:05
On Sat, 1 May 2004, Todd Vierling wrote:

> How about a new set of variables intended to be used (some for packages,
> some for mk.conf) to indicate when packages should be installed to /usr?
> I'll call this variable set SYSTEMBASE.
>
> Basic variable definitions would be:
>
> SYSTEMBASE?=	${LOCALBASE}	# default to third-party behavior
> #USE_SYSTEMBASE=		# if set in package, default to SYSTEMBASE
> #USE_SYSTEMBASE.<pkgname>=	# mk.conf: make <pkgname> use SYSTEMBASE

This would be useful.

> * specific tools commonly thought of as "base system" (gettext-lib,
>   libiconv, coreutils, grep, m4, sed, etc.) would get USE_SYSTEMBASE in the
>   package Makefile.  This wouldn't affect any system by default, as
>   SYSTEMBASE defaults to LOCALBASE, but would have profound differences on a
>   pkgsrc-built OS.

The exact packages I use for a bare, near unusable system are:

shells/bash2
sysutils/coreutils
wip/util-linux
editors/ed
archivers/gzip-base
wip/shadow
wip/net-tools
wip/procps
wip/netkit-base
textproc/gsed
wip/sysvinit
sysutils/e2fsprogs
archivers/pax
wip/glibc
wip/linux-kernel

Then a few of those have run-time dependencies, so add:

devel/ncurses
pkg_install-info
zlib
PAM
libcrack

And then probably linux-module-init-tools.

These packages provide components that I currently try to make available
in /bin and /sbin by copying (so some duplicates of /usr/sbin and
/usr/bin).

Then I'll be glad to put other add-ons to /usr/pkg/.

My main problem is that LOCALBASE=/ is broken, because then it doesn't
know how to find pkg_* tools etc. (I posted another email about this in
April.)

I hope to find a clear way to get my linux kernel, some modules, a few
libraries, and a few tools to get installed to /lib, /boot, /bin, and
/sbin. (I use symlinks for /boot and /lib/modules for now.)

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 open source, Unix, *BSD, Linux training
	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/