Subject: Re: How to specify variable ending on whitespace?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/27/2004 10:15:04
--xHFwDpU9dbj6ez1V

grant beattie <grant@netbsd.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 11:45:19AM -0400, Jan Schaumann wrote:

> > _OPSYS_RPATH_NAME is used in several ways.  On the one hand, it's used
> > to specify the flags to the *compiler* which flags are to be passed on
> > to the linker, ie '-Wl,${_OPSYS_RPATH_NAME}'.  In this instance, the
> > correct flags for MIPSPro compilers would be '-Wl,-rpath,/path'.
> > Setting _OPSYS_RPATH_NAME to "-rpath " would not work, in this scenario
> > (nor did using two '-Wl' flags (as "-Wl,-rpath -Wl,/path"), which is why
> > we set _OPSYS_RPATH_NAME to "-rpath," for Irix to begin with).
>=20
> a minor tangent - packages should not directly use _OPSYS_RPATH_NAME,
> only RPATH_FLAG.

Yes, but the latter just becomes the former, so the difference for this
discussion is null. :-)

While looking at this, I notice that we have something called *LD*FLAGS
which is passed to the compiler (obviously during linking) as well as to
the linker.  That is, if there ever is a need to have flags that differ
when passed directly to the linker vs when passed to the compiler during
linking, then we're SOL.  Ugh, see above.  :-/

-Jan

--=20
I seem to be having this tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle.

--xHFwDpU9dbj6ez1V

--xHFwDpU9dbj6ez1V--