Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/databases
To: None <andrew@grillet.co.uk>
From: Volker A. Brandt <vab@bb-c.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/26/2004 09:50:44
Andrew Grillet writes:

> So what is really needed is a tool to convert man pages to html, and

Such tools exist, of course.

> insert them into /usr/local/share/doc. as part of the install process.

That should be simple for your pkgsrc Makefile wizards out there.

> You can then set
> HTMLMAN="yes"
> in make.conf, and be happy, or dont set it and be BOF ;-)

I think it's rather overkill.

> Of course new docs for Unix specific stuff should continue being
> produced in man format,

Forget it.  Too late.  The FSF uses info, Sun uses DocBook/SGML,
Linux people use Linuxdoc (=DocBook/XML), etc. etc.  Hardly anybody
writes man pages any more...

> Perrrsonally, I would go for an INFO to HTML autoconversion - I'm hardly
> ever able to find _and_ view info format docs.

So you don't use the One True Editor?  Shame on you! :-)

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt                  Consulting and Support for Sun Solaris
Brandt & Brandt Computer GmbH              WWW: http://www.bb-c.de/~vab/
Meckenheim, Germany                                   Email: vab@bb-c.de